Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Storm & Stress - Storm & Stress

Comprised of Ian Williams (my favorite musician and guitarist for math rock pioneers, Don Caballero) Eric Emm (bassist for several Don Cab albums) and Kevin Shea (free jazz drummer), this was a side project of Don Caballero that began in 1994, but didn't really take off until about '96. Ian on Guitar and Vocals(i know right) Eric Emm - bass, Kevin Shea - Drums. This record requires the listener to be completely focused, have an open mind, and be totally high on pot. Guaranteed you've never heard and will never hear music like this, it transcends experimental, ambient, free jazz, math rock, or any other genre. The best description I can come up with is Avant Garde. They don't follow any sort of meter or time signature, so some may be quick to categorize it as free jazz but it really isn't. Don't get tripped up about the lack of a beat and just let the patterns emerge, it's really quite beautiful.

Storm & Stress - Storm & Stress











Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?zdj0mjj5jnl
-Peter

2 comments:

  1. I posted this a long time ago, such a beautiful album. Get this before Touch & Go take it down, which I'm almost positive they will do within a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys!

    I was taking a trip down memory lane tonight and stumbled on this Storm & Stress posting.

    I agree with you 100%: completely unclassifiable material.

    Such a phenomenal album though. I love all the little nuances on here like that light bulb being smashed and then what sounds like glass being shattered later on. Really interesting how unique those two things sound being broken. Then there's that part where you can hear the Zippo lighter opening, being lit, and then closing. Radical stuff.

    This album always seemed way underrated though. I mean, I realize there was a lot of hot stuff coming out on T&G at that time. But, this record didn't get nearly enough love.

    Anyway, I was wondering if you have Under Thunder and Fluorescent Light? The Jim O'Rourke one? Unfortunately I'm missing most of my stuff from back then. If you have a digital version, would you be into sharing it??

    I remember buying that one (UTFL) the very day it came out at the Sound Garden in Baltimore. Like a teenager in the 60's waiting on a Beatles album or something! I was such a devoted fan of these guys, probably more than Don Cab even–if you can believe it.

    I had the privilege of seeing them a bunch of times throughout high school and college too, mainly in Baltimore and DC. The very first time was actually at the TLA in Philadelphia though. They opened up for Trans Am and I vaguely remember they had fucking patio furniture set up on stage. Literally, a table and lounge chairs with a big umbrella–the whole nine. At one point, I can remember Ian Williams playing, leaning back in one of the chairs with his legs crossed and propped up on the table, chewing bubble gum, blowing bubbles, then during some particularly bombastic part he tipped himself back in the chair and fell back onto the floor, taking the table and chair with him! Man oh man, that was so unbelievably cool at 17 years old. Also, I remember Kevin Shea just shredding on the drums so hard. I wasn't really familiar with free-jazz just yet and couldn't believe what I was witnessing. At one point he managed to play his cymbals with his bare feet. Free-rock acrobatics!

    Man, I would pay really good money to see these dudes do one of these reunion concerts that are so en vogue at the moment among acts from the 1990's, where bands play their classic album verbatim.

    Anyway, thanks a lot for posting this stuff you guys. Great blog. Lots of terrific, really memorable stuff on here! In fact, I'm rocking out to Joan Of Arc's "A Portable Model Of.." which I just downloaded from you, as I type this reply. I forgot how sick their early stuff was too!

    Thanks again,
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete